ACTIVITY: MOTOR BOAT
Suntracker pontoon boat
Venue: Hamble River
RYA Powerboat Level 2, plus in-house induction and training
Ratio: Maximum 12 passengers.
In addition to the Instructor there must be at least one responsible adult present during session aware of the abilities and disabilities within the group
· Boat must be in good state of repair. The following should all be in good condition and working order:
o hulls, sides/gates, decking, seating, painters, attachment points, outboard engine fuel tanks, battery, anchor, steering wheel/cables, fire extinguisher
· Instructor should have available:
o Paddle, Mobile Phone, First Aid Kit.
· Monthly logged checks will be carried out on the boats and their fittings
· Engine will be serviced regularly
When planning the way a session will be run consideration needs to be given to:
· Weather: Air temperature, wind (speed and direction), water temperature, outlook, when appropriate wind, chill, burn time.
· Tide: Time of high/low water, range.
· Group Ability: Individual needs, medical issues.
· Report/record details of direction/destination and estimated return time.
· Check boat, equipment and amount of fuel carried
· Fit and check personal buoyancy before going afloat.
Exceptions may be made. See Safety Policy: Personal Buoyancy.
· Give safety talk, as appropriate, at start of session
· Ensure that care is taken while participants are on jetty or near water
End of Session:
· Ensure care is taken when disembarking, while on jetty and while putting boat away
· During busy periods the motorboat should not be left unattended on jetty.
· Faulty equipment should be labelled and/or removed from service. The fault should be logged (staffroom whiteboard/check sheet) and made good as soon as possible.
THE INSTRUCTOR HAS FINAL SAY IN DECIDING WHETHER OR NOT A SESSION TAKES PLACE AND IN WHAT MANNER IT IS CARRIED OUT