2020 has been quite a year, not the one any of us were expecting. Our response to COvid-19 includes reorganising our day services so that we have three ‘bubbles’ each day, the GreenHouse, Gold and our new Blue Bubble.
Each bubble has its own building as a base, and outdoor area to work, rest and play in. With a four acre site (within a four hundred acre Country Park) we have lots of room to spread out. We have staggered the start and finishing times
A vocational day service for adults with learning disabilities with a variety of learning and creative opportunities. Each day has a varied programme with three themes running through: work skills, independent living and personal development. With a choice of activities team members have the opportunity to develop skills within their own areas of interest as well as trying new things.
Monday to Friday; 9:30 to 3:30.
Cost £60 per day.
Gold Day Service
Is ideal for people with higher support needs who like to stay busy and active. Gold offers the opportunity to try new things and learn new skills. The focus is on personal wellbeing and enrichment. We encourage our team to stay fit, physically and mentally, through engaging with their surroundings; making the most of the 400 acre River Hamble Country Park.
Monday to Friday; 10:00 to 4:00
Cost £60 per day.
Our new Blue Bubble is based in the cabins and surrounding area. The team is currently transforming the grounds around the cabins; learning about working together, planning, plotting, making the world a better place, one barrowload at a time!
Every Thursday, 9:45 to 3:45.
Cost £60 per day.
Returning to QE2 Activity Centre day services
Getting ready to come back to QE2
There have been a lot of changes in 2020. whether it is in shops or restaurants, buses and trains, or visiting friends and family. We all have to do things differently. Here at QE2 Activity Centre we have had to think hard about how we arrange our days. There are some changes.
We want to give everybody the opportunity to come back to day service but we are going to have to have smaller groups.
We are going to have three groups – one based in the GreenHouse, one based in the Gold Building and one in the cabins. We’re calling that one the Blue Group.
We don’t want everybody arriving at once so we are going to stagger our starting and finishing times.
- GreenHouse will open at 9:30 and close at 3:30
- Blue at 9:45 until 3:45 and
- Gold from 10:00 until 4:00.
Before you come back there are some things you can do to help yourself, your friends and our staff to stay safe.
- Stay fit! Eating properly and exercising will help your body stay strong.
- Keep hydrated – that means drinking lots of water, throughout the day.
- Good hygiene – lots of handwashing and a shower and clean clothes when you come to day service.
When you come back:
Don’t bring anything into the Centre that you don’t need that day.
Do bring a bottle of water
Do bring a healthy packed lunch.
For the time we will be doing less cooking and food preparation
When you return . . .
Arriving at QE2 Activity Centre
When you get here in the morning things are going to be a bit different.
If you have a fever or a persistent cough you shouldn’t come in.
If anyone who lives in your house has a fever of a persistent cough you shouldn’t come in.
We need to make sure everybody is well when they arrive, so when you get here in your car or taxi we’ll ask you to wait until one of our staff is ready for you.
We’ll check that you don’t have a fever by using a thermometer and we’ll ask how you are.
Before you go into your hub we’ll give you some hand sanitiser.
When everyone is in we’ll start the day with a meeting to talk about
- what we’re going to do and how we’re going to do it
- why we need to give people more personal space than usual
- why we need to wash our hands so often
- what we need to do if we cough or sneeze
- why we need to stay alert
We want to do all the things we used to – but the way that we do some things is going to have to change
We are going to do more outside. Each group will have an outside area that is just for them.
We’ll need to wash our hands before and after activities (as well as after going to the toilet and before eating and drinking).
We are going to have smaller groups, we’re going to have sit further apart.
We’re not going to be able share things as much as before. If we are going to use something that someone else has used then it will need to be disinfected. We will all have to get used to disinfecting stuff.
Sometimes staff (and some of your friends) will be wearing face coverings. You can too if you want to.
All of these changes are to keep you, other group members and our staff safe.
For the time being it is best not to spend time with too many people. That is why we are going to have three “bubbles”, or groups, which each have a hub (a building) and a zone (some outdoor space).
GreenHouse bubble will be based in the GreenHouse building. This includes activity room, kitchen and toilets. They will also be working in the allotment, in the yard and workshop. There will be up to eight group members and two staff.
Gold will be in the Gold building. As well as their building, including kitchen, Changing Places toilet and Sensory Room, they will have an outside seating area and a garden area. There will be up to six group members and two staff.
Blue Group will be based in the cabins. They will have use of four cabins, two for group activities and two for quiet time. They will also have lots of outdoor space and we will be working outdoors for as much time as possible. There will be up to eight group members and two staff.
We have looked at the way we do our activities and the areas that we do them in. We have carried out risk assessments and identified where difficulties might arise. We have taken steps to minimise those risks by
- learning about the virus and about infection control
- making sure all the buildings we will be using are clean
- having cleaning materials in stock so that we can keep everything clean throughout the day
- removing unnecessary clutter
- planning our re-opening so that we have small groups with their own areas and timetables
- planning activities so that we can work outside using 2 metre social distancing
- planning activities so that if we work inside we can socially distance
- providing washrooms and hand sanitiser
- providing PPE (like face coverings, gloves and aprons)
We are also
- passing on what we have learned to our users – that’s you! – you have an important part to play in keeping us all safe
- providing information, through posters, visual aids and talking about it, to make sure everyone stays safe
Free Taster Day
If you are interested in joining QE2 Activity Centre’s day services please contact the Centre.
We’ll invite you along for a visit so that you can see for yourself the different options that are available. Then we’ll ask you to come along for a free taster day so you can spend the day with our staff and other team members taking part in a typical day.
There are some things all of our day services have in common:
- stimulating, challenging and fun,
- a place to meet others and make new friends,
- a place where you can learn new skills that will help you every day,
- a place where you will have the opportunity to try new things,
- a place to spend time enjoying the countryside,
- an environment that is safe
- and a place to take part in activities that contribute to lifelong learning and good health.
Our aim is to help each member of our team fulfil their potential and become more independent. We aim our sights high and encourage individuals to try new challenges and develop skills in a safe, managed, creative environment. We help our team members to develop skills to live independently and contribute to their community.
Every day has a varied programme with three themes running through: work skills, independent living and personal development. With a choice of activities team members have the opportunity to develop skills within their own areas of interest as well as trying new things.
Staff and service users work together to make sure everyone gets the best from their time here.
If you are interested in joining one of QE2 Activity Centre’s day services please contact the Centre.
We’ll invite you along for a visit so that you can see for yourself the different options that are available.
Choose the one that is right for you and come along for a FREE Taster Day to make sure that it is what you want. And then . . . welcome aboard.