Pontoon boat and Wheelyboat
Venue: Hamble River
RYA Powerboat Level 2, plus in-house induction and training
Maximum 12 passengers.
In addition to the Instructor there must be at least one responsible adult present during session aware of the abilities and disabilities within the group
Boat must be in good state of repair. The following should all be in good condition and working order:
hulls, sides/gates, decking, seating, painters, attachment points, outboard engine fuel tanks, battery, anchor, steering wheel/cables, fire extinguisher
Instructor should have available:
- Paddle, Mobile Phone, First Aid Kit.
- Monthly logged checks will be carried out on the boats and their fittings
- Engine will be serviced regularly
When planning the way a session will be run consideration needs to be given to:
- Weather: Air temperature, wind (speed and direction), water temperature, outlook, when appropriate wind, chill, burn time.
- Tide: Time of high/low water, range.
- Group Ability: Individual needs, medical issues.
- Report/record details of direction/destination and estimated return time.
- Check boat, equipment and amount of fuel carried
- Fit and check personal buoyancy before going afloat.
- Give safety talk, as appropriate, at start of session
- Ensure that care is taken while participants are on jetty or near water
Exceptions may be made. See Safety Policy: Personal Buoyancy.
End of Session:
- Ensure care is taken when disembarking, while on jetty and while putting boat away
- During busy periods the motorboat should not be left unattended on jetty.
- Faulty equipment should be labelled and/or removed from service. The fault should be logged (staffroom whiteboard/check sheet) and made good as soon as possible.
THE INSTRUCTOR HAS FINAL SAY IN DECIDING WHETHER OR NOT A SESSION TAKES PLACE AND IN WHAT MANNER IT IS CARRIED OUT